Is there anything like eternal security?We are going to talk about something that bothers a lot of Christians. Many of whom are veterans but can’t answer this simple question with all boldness; “Do you know if you are going to make heaven?”
The essence of this post is to explore if there is any scriptural truth to this doctrine. I pray that the eyes of your understanding be enlightened as you read in Jesus name, Amen.
What does eternal security mean?
Eternal security is a doctrine which states that a believer’s salvation once received, cannot be lost. It entails that a believer’s salvation has an eternal nature as it is a gift which is secured by one party (Jesus Christ).
What does it mean to be saved?
In order to understand the doctrine of Eternal Security, we must delve into what security means. In this context, security means salvation.
Salvation means deliverance, safety, preservation or rescue, for one to be saved, the person must have initially been in danger.
Let’s look into the Bible:
- Matthew 1:21 (NIV) And he shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS; for he shall save his people from their sins
- Romans 10:8-10 (NKJV) But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
- John3:16(KJV) For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
From the above scriptures, we can see that man needed saving from his sins and Jesus came to save all from their sins, we receive this salvation by BELIEF. Ephesians 2:8 tells us that “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is a gift of God”. This scripture shows that through faith we are saved (we now have eternal life), we are not saved by our works (actions or inactions), it is a gift from God.
We see a common word in the above verses, which are ‘Faith/Believe’; this begs the question, Believe in what exactly? - Belief in THE GOSPEL which is in 1 Corinthian 15:1-4 (KJV)
“Moreover brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; by which ye are saved , if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you , unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures.”
The Gospel is simply about the birth, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and it is the belief in the Gospel that gets any and every man saved. See Romans 1:16 “For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ: for it the power of God unto Salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jews first, and also to the Greek”.
John 5:24: Verily Verily, I say unto you, he that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
This is the beauty of the salvation plan of JESUS CHRIST, that all would be saved from sin, all would be made Righteous, Just and have Eternal life, solely by FAITH (belief in the Gospel). Not by paying tithe or by being a church worker or by obeying the 10 commandments but by putting your FAITH in Jesus. It is yet so simple but so difficult for many to accept. It is indeed too good to be true news.
Is my salvation eternal/Can I lose it?
The bible is the final authority for the Believer and based on scriptures which we would examine subsequently, a believer cannot lose his/her Salvation, it is eternally secured.
One verse of the scripture which we quote regularly, clearly answers the above question;
John 3:16 (KJV) “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life”.
This verse clearly shows us that anyone who believes in Christ (believes the Gospel) shall not perish but have everlasting life. Your security, your salvation is not temporary, it is FOREVER.
Let’s look at more scriptures;
- Hebrews 7:22-25 (AMP) “In keeping with [the greater strength and force], Jesus has become the Guarantee of a better (stronger) agreement [a more excellent and more advantageous covenant]. [Again, the former successive line of priests] was made up of many, because they were each prevented by death from continuing [perpetually in office]; But He holds His priesthood unchangeably, because He lives on forever. Therefore He is able also to save to the uttermost (completely, perfectly, finally, and for all time and eternity) those who come to God through Him, since He is always living to make petition to God and intercede with Him and intervene for them.”
- Hebrews 5:9 (KJV) And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him
- Hebrews 9:12 (KJV) Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
- Ephesians 1:7 (KJV) In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace.
- Hebrews 9:28 (KJV) So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
- John 10:28-29 (KJV) And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.
From the above scriptures, we understand that Christ offered himself as a sacrifice once and for everyone. The people of the Old Testament had to sacrifice of lambs and goats yearly to be saved, but you have a perfect and complete sacrifice! It does not need to be renewed because you received it by faith in Jesus. Whenever we have questions we should go back to the word and answer it.
As a believer, you must always have it at the forefront of your mind that your salvation is guaranteed, that it is not something you can renew, but be assured that he has done it all, all I have to do is to keep my eyes and my belief in him! He has sealed us with his spirit! You cannot jump out of it because you didn’t seal yourself! You must know that you are his! Go with this understanding that your salvation is complete and guaranteed!
To be sure of where you are going (heaven) is not overconfidence or pride. It’s a blessing and a relief to know that you have salvation; it isn’t based on what we do or need to keep on doing. If it came by what we do, it wouldn’t be correct. Jesus had to become sin for us. You have to be bold about where you are going to. This is not a matter of God alone knows if you will make heaven or you hope to make heave. You are a citizen of heaven already because you are in Christ.
2 Corinthians 5:19 (KJV) “For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him”.
If Jesus did nothing to become sin, why do you need to do anything to become righteous? Jesus swallowed the penalty of sin for you!
To fall from Grace is not to commit a sin but to change who you believe! Whom do you believe in? If you know the answer to this, you can be bold and say you know your destination. The presence of the Holy Spirit in your life is to show that you are going to heaven! The only sin that matters now is not believing in Jesus.
This is the end of the post this week. I know many readers are already worried about sin and what not, there will be a follow-up post next week about grace not being the license to sin but liberty from sin.
A big thank you to Favour Uka for working so hard on this post today. I appreciate your passion for the kingdom of God and the ministry of reconciliation God has given to us. I love you, sis.
“No, you cannot lose your salvation because you can’t lose what was not gained by you, is not kept by you and in its entirety, a work of another”- Paul Tripp
Bibi and Favour.
Let’s be friends, follow me and Favour on Twitter.